I was actually quite unsure on which recipe I would focus my column this week. There are just so many options for allergen-free ingredients about which I want to spread the word–and then my craving hit me. Every night around ten I have this overwhelming need for chocolate. I am not sure when this started as I am not typically a sweets person but this craving exists and it must be satisfied–or else. And last night, I morphed from normal vegan health nut to full-on choco-monster. NEEDED. CHOCOLATE.
I had some blueberries, dark cocoa powder and bananas on hand and this is the highly intelligent thought process that ensued: bananas freeze, blueberries awesome, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate mmmmmmmmm….and this recipe was born!
Free of the seven major food allergens and 100% vegan these raw oat cookies will satisfy your chocolate cravings, choco-monster guaranteed.
Raw Berry Banana Chocolate Oat Cookies
2 large bananas
1/4 c blueberries
3 tbsp. Organic Maple Syrup
½ cup rolled oats
1 tbsp. dark chocolate powder
1. In a small bowl, mash bananas and oats with a spoon or your hands if you like the feeling of mashed bananas between your fingers…
2. Add maple syrup and mix vigorously until no extra “liquid” spots exist and it is all dough
3. Mix in dark chocolate powder ½ tsp. at a time until the dough is a dark brown almost black
4. Add the blueberries a few at a time and mix in gently so as to not break them apart
5. Scoop out pieces of dough with a teaspoon into a lightly greased (with vegetable oil or non-stick spray) airtight container, press flat one by one in the container into “cookie” shape
6. Do not stack them as they will stick together; use two or three containers if necessary
7. Freeze for about an hour and eat, eat, eat!
More Freedom Friday: Spicy Cool Allergen-Free Tacos
Also by Kate: Happy Strawberry Banana Raw Vegan Bars
Photo: Kate Coffey