Squash is a wonderful thing to prepare when the weather gets cold. It is hearty and filling yet does not weigh you down. Since there are many different varieties, you can use it in a number of different ways. Squash is rich in vitamins A and C and is a good source of dietary fiber. Delicata squash is one of my favorite varieties. Its small size makes it perfect for individual portions, and you don’t have to worry about cutting through a large, dense squash or peeling the skin off. With the delicata, the skin is soft enough when cooked that you can just eat the entire thing.
This is something that I’ve written about before and used in my Fall Harvest Plate recipe. Although delicata works beautifully in savory dishes, I wondered how it would taste in a sweet dish. Since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I decided to experiment with a sweet breakfast squash. The carbohydrates in the squash will power you through your day, and the fiber will keep you satiated. I combined the squash with heart-healthy oats to create a well-balanced way to start your day. This is something that could also be made ahead of time and reheated in the morning. What’s better than a delicious breakfast to set you up for a healthy and productive day!
Cranberry Oatmeal Squash Boats
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 cup cooked oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla if you prefer)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
3. While the squash is in the oven, prepare the oats by adding everything together in a bowl and stirring well.
4. Take the squash out of the oven and fill with the oat mixture.
5. Garnish with additional almonds, if desired.
Also by Kathryn: Sweet Potato Avocado Zen Bowl
Related: Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kathryn Farrugia