What is the difference between a spring roll and a summer roll? It’s just one of those things. I’m going to guess that a summer roll is non-fried and raw and fresh, while a spring roll is typically deep fried using a wrapper of mysterious origins. I’m always kind of hesitant about ordering spring rolls at restaurants because a lot of commonly available spring roll wrappers have eggs in them. But last summer while we were making a lot of summer rolls for dinner, my boyfriend found an ingenious way to make spring rolls at home. It’s not as crunchy as deep-fried spring rolls at restaurants, though that’s not a huge loss to me. These vegan spring rolls are crispy, indulgent, and will satisfy your deepest takeout cravings! Please feel free to experiment with the fillings you love. I tend to vary them according to what we have, and what feels good, including: pan-fried tofu, cucumbers, radishes, bell peppers, scallions, and more. Just remember to be patient with the rolling because it is labor-intensive for the non-professional sushi or burrito maker. But, that part is half the fun. Just enjoy it 🙂
Vegan Spring Rolls
- 5 rice wrappers
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thinlyl
- 5-6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 carrot, thinly sliced using a peeler
- 3/4 cup sprouts (any kind), rinsed and patted dry
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp neutral, high smoking point oil
- to taste salt and pepper
1. Prepare all the vegetable fillings and arrange them on a plate, side by side.
2. In a medium saute pan, heat a tiny bit of oil and add shiitake mushrooms and garlic. Cook, occasionally stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and set aside.
3. To assemble, run a piece of rice paper under running water for about 30 seconds until completely soft but not clingy. Place on the center of a large plate. Add mushrooms, avocado, carrots, sprouts, cilantro. Fold one long edge, then tuck in the small edges. Roll like a log and seal the ends. Set aside. Repeat until all filling is gone.
4. In a nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. The bottom of the pan will be lightly coated. Add spring rolls and fry on one side for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Use a spatula to gently flip to the other side. Continue to cook the other side until it’s golden brown.
5. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauces!
Simple Ginger Soy Sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp agave syrup
pinch fresh minced ginger
Creamy Peanut Sauce (makes many servings)
3 tbsp soy sauce
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut milk
juice of 2 limes
1 tbsp natural sweetener
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
Love this article? Keep up-to-date on the latest from Peaceful Dumpling: Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling