Some evenings, my fiancé comes home and asks, “Do you want to go out?” For a split second, I think: You mean, grab a swanky dinner for two? But most of the time, “going out” means hanging out with his colleagues at the bar down the street. Of course, I enjoy doing this, too—there just isn’t the same expectation that I must glam up (an expectation I anticipate and savor, being the beauty junkie that I am).
When I think about it, however, why can’t I indulge my beauty pleasures for a casual night out? After all, getting ready to hit the town—whether that’s Paris or a small city in southern Texas—should be enjoyable—and it should present an opportunity for self-care. And if applying lipstick with excruciating care is my idea of self-care, then there’s no reason why our bar nights don’t merit a well-curated, vegan evening beauty bag.
Without further ado, the following are my current go-to get-glam goodies, all of which are natural, vegan, and cruelty-free. With them, you can create a simple but dramatic look in about 10 minutes—or longer, if that’s your thing, ahem.
1. Long day got you feeling a little tepid and washed-out? Nothing will make you feel more pampered than GlamNatural’s Cream Blush. With its luxe packaging, rich texture, and intense pigment (use sparingly!) this blush brings some serious glow. Apply to freshly cleaned and moisturized bare skin—or over recently applied liquid or cream foundation. Blend well.
2. While we’re on the topic of color, don’t forget to stock your evening clutch with that lip-gloss—you know, the one that makes you feel like Jolie has nothing on your pucker. My favorite is Aromi’s red Lip Gloss. Also richly pigmented, this gloss has a slightly sweet smell (taste?) and wears beautifully over bare lips or lipstick.
3. Finding a multi-tasking product can be a godsend. Lily Lolo Vanilla Shimmer Eyes is a universally flattering eyeshadow base or brow bone highlighter. It can also be used as an illuminator for your cheekbones—just in case you want to turn up the glow factor.
4. Well-defined eyes are sexy eyes. Create a precise or smudged line with DeVita’s Absolute Soft Lines Eyeliner in black. I love this liner because it comes with a smudger and a sharpener, so you can really customize your look. The pigment is long lasting, humidity aside.
5. Don’t leave the house without a spritz! Perfume helps set the mood for your evening. Prima Ballerina by Strange Invisible Perfumes is beyond sophisticated, so I like to wear it when I want to feel “adult.” That being said, you may want to go for a different feel with your fragrance. Choose a signature evening scent that makes you feel like the best version of yourself (in the special way that perfume can).
Also on Cruelty Free Makeup: Retro Glam Makeup Tutorial
Photos: Mary Hood