As much as I hate to admit this, I truly am a product junkie. There is something just so satisfying about buying a tube of new hair cream or jar of face mask, and it’s been hard to reign in my purchases. I don’t even necessarily use all of these products, and regardless of “natural” or “organic” labels, I also find it difficult to identify many of the ingredients that are in these body and facial care products. After several DIY fails (hello extreme face breakouts!), I finally discovered the beauty properties of strawberries and how amazing they are for the skin.
Just a few berries will deliver Vitamin C, salicylic acid (which helps clear blemishes), and the hulls that act as a mild exfoliant. The pretty berries are just starting to come into season, and what better way to greet them than with a homemade face mask. This mixture has fresh berries, oats that are perfect for soothing sunburns, and a bit of lemon juice- perfect for glowing summer skin!
Homemade Strawberry Exfoliating Mask
– 6 or 7 ripe strawberries, stems removed (I used berries that were about to turn- juicier!)
– 2 tbsp ground oats
– Squeeze of lemon juice
– 1 tbsp raw, local honey (completely optional)
– In a small bowl, smash the strawberries with a fork until mixture is runny.
– Add oats, lemon, and honey (if using) and fold together.
– Liberally apply to face and lie down for 5 to 10 minutes so it doesn’t run off!
– Rinse with warm water and apply toner if needed.
– Try this once every one or two weeks for a glowing complexion and to aid with sunburns and sun damage during the summer!
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
Also by Karina: 4 Ways to Break Out of Your Lunch Rut
Related: Nourishing DIY Maca Cacao Face Mask
Photo: Karina Alexander