It’s not hard to make your own beauty products at home. The few ingredients required are readily found at your local supermarket and health food store. Empty jars and containers are perfect to reuse for this (which is why its always a good idea to save those cute sample jars and old makeup containers!). By making your own products, you’re guaranteed to end up with something that’s 100% natural. Here are 3 super easy beauty recipes you can whip up in the kitchen.
- A verision of this article previously appeared on Terumah
3 Easy DIY Beauty Products with Basic Ingredients
Peppermint and Sea Salt Body Scrub
4 tablespoons sea salt
4 tablespoons almond or jojoba oil
1 teaspoon fresh mint
5 drops peppermint essential oil
2 drops grapefruit essential oil
Mix sea salt, fresh mint, and almond/jojoba oil in a bowl. Add essential oils. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Scrub can keep for up to 6 months.
Beet Lip and Cheek Stain
2-4 drops freshly squeezed lemon juice
optional: coconut oil, almond oil, or vitamin E oil
1. Make fresh beet juice with a juicer. If you don’t have a juicer, cut the beet into quarters after taking the top and root off. Toss into a blender with some water. Pour juice through a strainer into a small bowl. An eyedropper can help you get the juice from bowl to jar. An empty roll-on jar works best. Be careful–beet juice can stain!
2. Depending on how big your container is, add 2-4 drops of lemon juice. This helps preserve the color. Lemon juice can be drying, so add some oil for moisture.
3. Keep this in the fridge, and it will last up to 2 weeks.
2 tablespoon arrowroot powder
2 teaspoon or more cocoa powder
5 drops lemon essential oil
1. Mix cocoa powder and arrowroot powder in a box. Stir in lemon essential oil until color is uniform. Add more cocoa powder to match your skin tone as needed.
2. Pour into a powder jar. (An old mineral powder jar is perfect.) Use the powder to set foundation and to mattify skin.
What are your favorite DIY beauty products?
Read more from Annie at Terumah.
More in Natural Beauty: DIY Tropical Skin Ritual
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Illustrations: Elizabeth Stilwell.