It should come as no surprise that some of the most powerful and inspirational modern women have morning rituals to match. Studies prove time and time again that a good AM routine can help maximize productivity, improve willpower, boost overall happiness, and improve day-to-day health.
Whether you wake up with morning yoga, a freshly brewed cup of coffee, or a hearty breakfast, you’ll feel your best when you start the day with your favorite activities and a quality skin care regimen. (Hint: make sure it includes cleanser and the application of a long-lasting sunscreen and moisturizer.)
If you’re looking for a great way to ramp-up your post wake-up regimen, consider taking a few hints from these superhero-level ladies.
- Sheryl Sandberg — As Facebook’s Chief Operating Officer, author of Lean In and overall badass, Sheryl Sandberg has one essential tip for maximizing her morning productivity: turn off the gadgets before bed so you wake up refreshed. Yes, one of the world’s most powerful tech leaders advocates ditching the smartphone! According to Sandberg, going old-school and using a spiral notebook rather than a digital calendar, for example, helps her stay organized and efficient throughout the day.
- Jenna Lyons — Former J. Crew Creative Director and well-dressed wonder woman Jenna Lyons said in an interview in Harper’s Bazaar that her secret to success is sleeping in. She claims that she requires just a half an hour before leaving the house in the morning, where she enjoys a good cup of coffee with cream. Lyons emphasizes her obsession with professional facials, but we think you can get great results with a quality morning moisturizer, like Farmacy Rise ‘N Shine.
- Ariana Huffington — Want to look and feel as fabulous as self-made mogul Ariana Huffington? Just like Sandberg, the co-founder and editor-in-chief of Huffington Post recommends ditching the smartphone. In fact, she says she doesn’t even look at her phone when she wakes up. Instead, she takes a moment to “breathe deeply, be grateful and set my intention for the day.” She also says that before she moved to New York, she spent many pre-work mornings hiking and taking walks.
- Amal Clooney — Human rights lawyer and wife to major hunk George Clooney may be as well-known for her impressive resume (representing clients like WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, for example) as she is for her impeccable style and flawless skin. Her secret? A double-duty moisturizer that can take the heat. Applying a solid facial moisturizer in the morning keeps skin protected from sun damage and free radicals that it will encounter throughout the day, while improving the skin’s softness, tone, and elasticity at the same time.
- Mindy Kaling — To “Mindy Project” funny woman Mindy Kaling, the morning beauty routine is no laughing matter. In fact, in her memoir Why Not Me? Kaling devotes an entire chapter to how she achieves her flawless look. Kaling admits that she wasn’t gifted with pristine skin and that she regularly relies on AM facial sheet masks when she doesn’t get enough sleep. According to the comedian herself: “I keep mine in the fridge, because there are two things Mindy Kaling likes cold: beer and beauty masks.”
- Serena Williams — The secret to tennis pro Serena Williams’ success is energy. Working hard day in and day out to snatch title after title must be tiring, which is why she always starts her day with a good, healthy breakfast. So, what does the breakfast of champions entail, you ask? Believe it or not, both Serena and sister Venus Williams follow a raw, vegan diet during the tennis season. She wasn’t ranked the Women’s Tennis Association’s No. 1 player eight times in a row for no reason!
- Michelle Gass — Ex-Starbucks exec Michelle Gass may have left one of the world’s largest coffee chains for Kohl’s Corporation, but she still starts her day bright and early at 4:30 a.m., usually, with a fresh cup of coffee. From there, she takes a morning jog to clear her mind. According to Gass, this active AM routine has helped her take better care of herself and enter the day feeling focused and refreshed. We commend you, Ms. Gass!
- Anna Wintour — Vogue’s editor-in-chief lives a pretty fabulous life, jet-setting across the globe to sit runway-side at some of the most fabulous fashion shows in the world. But, her morning routine is much less glamorous. Much like Gass, Wintour doesn’t mind getting a little sweaty first thing in the morning. In fact, she often starts her day with an early game of morning tennis. Match time? 5:45 a.m. And, of course, any good routine for prepping for a day of outdoor activities isn’t complete without a good application of all-day sunscreen. We recommend a naturally derived 35+ SPF sunscreen, like Farmacy Green Screen.
- Oprah Winfrey — TV show host, magazine proprietor, producer and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey has long let her fans in on her health and beauty secrets, and we’re forever grateful. This all-around superwoman starts her day early, around 6 a.m., with a fresh cup of chai tea or a low-fat cappuccino. If you’ve followed Oprah’s health and weight loss journey, you know that she starts each AM with some cardio and weight training, followed by meditation or walking.
- Queen Elizabeth II — The Queen of England may be 91, but she doesn’t look a day over 80. According to a recent biographer, the queen’s secret lies in her morning routine, which consists of a cup of English breakfast tea. Occasionally, she’ll even indulge in fresh-baked cookies or biscuits (as they’re called across the pond) that get hand-delivered in bed by her maid. Ah, what a life. But the indulgence stops there. QE II then gets to business, meticulously reading the morning’s news and briefings.
What are your favorite morning rituals?
Also by Stacey: 10 Crucial Things Your Body Does During Sleep
More celeb secrets: See How Venus Williams Beats Junk Food Cravings On A Vegan Diet
Model Andreea Diaconu Shares Her 3 Top Detoxifying Products & We Want Them All
These Healthy Eating Rules Keep Rosie Huntington-Whitely In Top Shape
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Mindy Kaling via Instagram; (Serena Williams) Athena LeTrelle via Flickr; (Oprah) ABC Television via Flickr; Others: Wikimedia Commons