I am always tickled to learn about (and get my hands on) vegan, indie makeup lines. DeVita International offers an array of luxe, all-vegan products. They’ve got it all—from skin brightener to finishing powder to baby bodywash! DeVita’s body care and cosmetic confections are paraben-free and bolstered with natural ingredients. What’s more, their packaging is to die for. Step aside, over-priced and chemical-laden department store makeup—there’s a new glamour girl brand in town. In fact, I wanted to create a look that mirrored DeVita’s aesthetic—modern, cosmopolitan, and suavely feminine. I focused on three of DeVita’s products:
Prime Corrective Light Refracting Primer & Corrective for flawless skin (as flawless as a girl can get). The primer promises to neutralize imperfections by refracting light rather than absorbing it. This is especially important if you want a matte (but not mask-like) finish. As someone with acne scars, both textured and pigmented, I’m always trying to find a balance between makeup that draws attention away from these imperfections (but is slightly dull) and makeup that might make them more obvious (but has a nice “glow”). For someone like me, a primer like this is a good place to start. I want to give my skin a clearer appearance while keeping the look natural.
absolute softLines eyeliner in matte black for defined, dramatic eyes. Now this is a multi-purpose eye pencil. On one end is a smudger, on other end is the liner (of course), and the cap to the liner is a pencil sharpener! This mineral liner is long wearing and tug-free, thanks to emollient-rich ingredients like jojoba and carnauba wax. May be smudged or left in a precise line.
absolute LIPS, a creamy, buildable lipstick in “Sanguine Angel,” a deep, autumn-leaf red. This non-sticky lipstick glides on smoothly and feels more like a balm than a ’stick. Packed with moisturizers like macadamia seed oil, castor seed oil, and avocado butter, absolute LIPS does not leave you with that papery lipstick feeling. I love this color because although it’s on the darker side, it manages to complement the rest of the makeup without being distracting.
1. I began with freshly cleansed and moisturized skin and applied a pea-sized amount of DeVita’s Prime Corrective to my face and jaw line. After letting it sit for a minute, I smoothed on Vapour Organic Beauty’s Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation in “115s,” making sure to blend it into the contours of my face (i.e. the “parenthesis” of my nose, etc.).
2. Using Alima Pure’s Satin Matte Blush in “Melon,” I contoured my cheekbones by softly blending the blush just beneath my cheek bones and the apples of my cheeks. (More about contouring in an upcoming post!)
3. I prepped my eyelids with Tarte’s clean slate 360 12-hour creaseless smoothing eye primer. For my eye shadow, I used various shades from Josie Maran’s Argan Beautiful Eyes in “Beautiful Nudes.” I applied a shimmery, medium brown to my moving eyelid and blended a shimmery, rose gold into the outer third of the crease. Finally, I highlighted my brown bone with a pearlescent cream shadow.
4. I lined my eyes with DeVita’s absolute softLINES eyeliner pencil in “Absolute Obsidian.” I didn’t hold back and gave my upper lash line a dramatic, thick line. I drew a lighter, subtler line along my lower lash line.
5. I curled my lashes and applied two coats of Tarte’s lights, camera, flashes statement mascara.
6. Last, I applied-blotted-reapplied DeVita’s ultra gorgeous absolute LIPS in “Sanguine Angel.”
More tutorials: Tauriel Hair and Makeup Tutorial
Photos: Mary Hood