Supermodel Gigi Hadid is the star of Reebok’s #PerfectNever campaign. The campaign promotes self-improvement through physical fitness and finding strength in your imperfections. Sports were a big part of Hadid’s life growing up. From horseback riding to volleyball, she was always physically active. Currently, her favorite workout is boxing. Boxing is a full-body workout that requires a lot of mental concentration. “It helps me escape the noise in my head. It’s the only time my mind goes quiet,” Hadid said in a statement.
Hadid trains regularly with Rob Piela at Gotham G-Box gym in New York City. Piela shared the exact core concentrated workout he gave Gigi Hadid with Well+Good. “The typical warm-up I do with Gigi is with a jump rope, but you can mimic that through jumping jacks,” says Piela. She does 2 minutes on and then 30 seconds rest for three sets. After a cardio warm up, follow the moves below to get supermodel abs of your own!
1. Leg Raises– Lie down on the ground with your hands underneath your tailbone. Pull your knees in and straighten your legs up into the air. Squeeze your glutes and inner thighs as you lower your legs down as far as you can without your back arching off the ground. Use your abs to raise your legs back up again without letting your tailbone lift. Do 4 sets of 25.
2. Plank– Hold your plank position with your forearms on the ground for at least 60 seconds. It’s important to have proper form in your plank. “The proper technique is abdominals tight, no sway in the back, and neck in a neutral position,” says Piela. “Once your core is fatigued, you’ll naturally use other muscle groups to try and hold you in the plank position — stop before this happens.” To target your transverse abdominals and challenge yourself even more, come onto your hands and try alternating raising one arm and the opposite leg off the ground.
3. Bicycles– Lie on your back and hold your knees in a tabletop position. Curl your head, neck, and shoulders off the ground with your hands behind your head. Straighten one leg out to 45 degrees as you twist your torso to get the opposite elbow to the opposite knee. Switch and twist the other direction keeping your hips anchored to the ground. Do three sets of 25.
4. Crunches- Lie on your back with your legs bent and feet flat on the ground. Interlace your fingers behind your head and contract your abs to crunch up for three sets of 25.
5. Boxing– Not all of us have access to boxing gloves and a trainer, but we can still get the benefits of boxing by using light weights in each hand. “Assume boxing position with your feet spread comfortably apart and left foot forward (if you’re right-handed),” Piela instructs. “Extend your left arm fully for a jab while engaging your core muscles, then turn your hips and pivot your right foot while extending your right arm for a cross punch.” Punch jab-cross-jab-cross for one minute straight. Rest for 30 seconds, then do left and right uppercuts for one minute. Repeat each segment four times, alternating sides with every set.
Repeat these moves at least 3 times a week for a great core workout–and remember that perfection is not required!
Have you tried any of Gigi Hadid’s favorite workouts?
Also by Crystal: The Workout Emma Stone Did To Get A Dancer’s Body For La La Land
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Reebok; Video: Crystal Chin; Music: “Holding On” by Flume