The sweet and nutty taste of squash is a quintessential late fall comfort and in my opinion Spaghetti Squash is the king of all the squash. It is so very versatile and once you learn how to tame it, this delicious veggie will become your go-to dish for late fall and winter. This amazing squash is a lighter option to the sometimes gluten- and carb-filled traditional pasta.
This spaghetti squash recipe was created on a whim, when I had some random ingredients on hand and decided to create a mash-up of some of my favorite tastes. In this dish we have a strong garlicky taste supporting the spinach, portobello mushroom slices and spaghetti squash noodles, all in perfect harmony. This is a hearty vegan squash casserole perfect for the cool nights ahead!
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Casserole
1 small spaghetti squash
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced lengthwise and chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups spinach leaves, whole
1 tsp. olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F, poke holes in spaghetti squash with a fork, place in oiled casserole dish and place in oven for about 20 minutes
2. Heat olive oil in pan until small bubbles begin to appear then add garlic, saute until slightly browned
3. Add mushroom chunks to pan and lower heat and let mushrooms simmer with garlic and oil for about 5 minutes, remove from pan but leave pan on stove top for a moment
4. Add spinach to pan and saute until wilted, remove pan from heat and set aside
5. Remove spaghetti squash from oven and slice carefully in half lengthwise (a silicone oven mitt works well here to hold hot squash still)
6. Replace squash halves face up in casserole dish and use a fork to pull apart the “noodles” (scrape at the inside of the squash with a fork until it looks like spaghetti)
7. Stuff halves first with the spinach until about half filled, if spinach remains, fill the casserole dish around the squash halves
8. Fill the squash with the portobello chunks and garlic and place casserole dish in oven, bake for 15 minutes
9. Remove from oven, sprinkle with sea salt to taste and serve immediately
Happy Freedom Friday all!
Happy and safe weekend to you!
Also in Freedom Friday: Chickpea Mashed Potatoes
Photo: Kate Coffey