Food, Healthy Eating

Foraging Fun: Chicken of the Woods!

by

Often when people find out I’m a vegan they ask me if I miss meat. Truth is, I don’t miss meat at all. Which is weird, because I used to be a major meat lover. Once I saw and understood what happens to the animals being raised and killed for our menus, the thought of eating them became abhorrent to me. However, I sure do enjoy meat alternatives from time to time and every once in a while nature provides such a treat.

This is Laetiporus gilbertsonii, also known as Chicken of the Woods. I found this mushroom the other day while talking a stroll through the neighborhood.

chicken_of_the_woods_1

Here in Oregon, this mushroom starts growing in August and continues on through the fall. This specimen was very fresh and soft, which I could tell because when I cut it off the tree it was growing on, water beaded up and dripped out.

Cutting the mushroom off the tree.

chicken_of_the_woods_3

(The darker yellow spots are where water dripped down and out of the mushroom.)

Don’t feel bad for the mushroom…most people don’t realize that the part of the mushroom that we see is the fruiting body of the mushroom mycelium, which lives underground. It isn’t unlike picking an apple from an apple tree. The job of the fruiting part of the mushroom is to spread the spores far and wide, which we help with when we pick them and take them home.

chicken_of_the_woods_4

I cut the outside off the mushroom once I got it home, because the area near the stem is tough and harder to chew through.

chicken_of_the_woods_6Then I stir fried the mushroom, made a gluten free creamy roux sauce, and added rice and veggies. Delicious!

chicken_of_the_woods_7

chicken_of_the_woods_9

While it is very difficult to misidentify  Laetiporus and there are no poisonous look-alikes, a word of warning here: some mushrooms cause allergic reactions when they are consumed. This is not considered a mushroom poisoning, it is called an “idiosyncratic reaction.” Chicken of the Woods is one type of mushroom that can cause this reaction. A recent study reported that around one in ten people may experience gastrointestinal distress after eating this mushroom.

More Foraging Fun: Making Your Own Wild Root Brew

Nature Therapy- How Nature Affects You Body and Mind

Photo: Susana Romatz

Susana Romatz
Susana Romatz is a native of Saginaw, Michigan and has lived in Eugene, Oregon since 2002. She has been an elementary teacher at the Rudolf Steiner inspired Village Charter School for eight years and she enjoys cooking, writing, wildcrafting, gardening, drawing, painting, mushroom hunting, and spending time in nature. Susana earned a double major in Earth Science and Religious Studies, with a minor in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure from Central Michigan University and received her Teacher Training Certification from the Eugene Waldorf Teacher Training Program.
Take care of yourself:
fall mushroom hiking outdoors vegan recipes foraging

latest stories