Given how meditation has become a buzzword in the holistic wellness community–and beyond–one could easily say that meditation is the new black. And the practice of meditation isn’t a mere fad. Rooted in years of study and practice, meditation has quite a lot to offer its practitioners. The health benefits of meditation are undeniable–from lowering blood pressure to increasing the brain’s gray matter and from boosting the immune system to reducing stress.
Ah, stress. Stress is something that we all have to deal with, but if unattended, it can wreak serious havoc on our overall well-being and happiness. Luckily, meditation is a scientifically proven way to combat stress. Neuroscientist Sara Lazar discovered that a regular meditation practice shrinks the amygdala–the part of the brain responsible for the “fight or flight” response (read: fear, stress, etc.).
However, for many, meditation is not always as easy as it sounds. Even the concepts of trying to “stop thinking” or “quieting your mind” can feel overwhelming and unreachable. That’s where essential oils may be of benefit.
While it’s always fun to create your own essential oil blends, many of us would prefer a little help from the experts. Fortunately, many essential oil companies are creating blends to help meditation hopefuls find the meditation process easier and more pleasant.
Essential Oil Blends to Support Your Meditation Practice
Tazeka Aromatherapy, a new essential oil company created Nonstop Thoughts and Meditation Guru” to support meditation. When these blends were created by founder and modern-day alchemist, Zena Hallam, she used the wisdom of our ancestors, who have used certain essential oils for centuries to promote wellbeing.
1. Non-Stop Thoughts. Overthinking is a problem for most of us, and unfortunately, our brain doesn’t come with an “off” switch. This blend, Nonstop Thoughts, is for the “Type-A,” workaholic who finds it hard to take a chill pill. A variety of oils were selected for their centering qualities, including cardamom and myrrh. The combination of the oils addresses mental “hamster wheel” situations, making the blend perfect for a rookie meditator trying to get comfortable in the present moment. You can also use this blend simply anytime you want to relax.
2. Meditation Guru. Once you start to meditate regularly, “Meditation Guru” will take your meditation practice to a whole new level. Tazeka took sacred essential oils used for centuries by the Ancient Egyptians and other wisdom-filled traditions. Frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, ylang ylang, and elemi essential oils form a luxurious fusion that takes you to another realm of awareness. Simply dab these blends on your pulse points and enjoy!
3. Gray Matter Batter. Another well-established and powerhouse essential oil company Aura Cacia has created quite a few blends that can help with meditation. One is their Gray Matter Batter, which features peppermint and spearmint to penetrate and cool while lavender and chamomile exercise their calming influence on the mind. This blend would be ideal for anyone seeking a bit of relief from a stressful day!
4. Meditation. There’s also a blend specifically called Meditation by Aura Cacia. This concoction is blended with cedarwood, myrtle, patchouli, and sandalwood. This heady mix is designed to balance the skin, stabilize thoughts, and anchor the spirit. Enjoy a few drops blended with a carrier oil (creating a DIY massage oil) or in your favorite essential oil diffuser.
5. Chakra Balancing Oils. Ah yes, and then there’s the entire Chakra Balancing line of essential oil blends from Aura Cacia. Each blend uses essential oils that are known to activate or nourish their respective chakra, or “energy center,” as they’re referred to. These scents smell so darn good that they can be simply used as roll-on perfumes. Alternatively, you can use them to give you a heightened meditation experience during a directed mindfulness practice to balance each particular chakra depending on what you’re working on internally.
If you’re looking to diffuse essential oils during your meditation practice, I recommend the Young Living Aria Ultrasonic Diffuser. It’s so gorgeous, can change color depending on your mood, and can even be hooked up to your device, so you can play guided meditations or soothing music during your practice.
So whether you’re totally intimidated by meditation or you’ve been doing it for years, these ethically farmed, vegan, certified organic oils can help promote relaxation, reduce stress, and keep you coming back to your meditation practice regularly (even if to simply to smell the heavenly aromas).
Do you use essential oils to help you meditate? Which blends are your favorite?
Also by Bess: 5 Healthiest Drinks and Juices You Can Buy
Related: Essential Oil Blends for Yoga
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
Photos: @MeditationInspiration via Instagram, Respective Brands