Hi, my name is Sarah, and I am a body butter addict. I currently have three body butters in my rotation, not to mention the various oils lining my bathroom counter. I am a particular fan of using coconut oil as a body moisturizer, but it can be somewhat finnicky to use. In the summer, when my bathroom becomes a stifling sauna, the oil melts into a liquidy, greasy mess. And when it finally cools down, I find myself chipping and chiseling away at a solidified block. Thankfully, there’s an easy solution to this annoyance: whipped coconut oil. That’s right, in this post I will provide a ridiculously simple recipe for making your own luxurious and moisturizing whipped body butter- no chisel required.
Here’s what you need:
– 1/2 cup shea butter
– 1 cup unrefined, virgin coconut oil
– 1 tbsp jojoba oil
– 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil
Here’s how to do it:
1. Add your coconut, shea, and jojoba oil to a mixing bowl
2. Using the double boiler method on medium-low heat, mix the ingredients together as they begin to melt
3. Once fully melted, remove from heat and let the mixture harden. To speed up the process, place the mixing bowl in the fridge and let it set so that it’s solid, but still soft.
5. With a stand or hand mixer, whip the mixture (whip it good!) until it begins to resemble whipped cream. I whipped mine for a good 5 minutes to incorporate lots of air into the lotion.
6. Add your essential oil of choice, then whip it again briefly to incorporate.
7. Gently scoop the body butter into your container of choice- don’t squish it too much or you’ll ruin it’s fluffy texture!
That’s it! Now you have natural, creamy, soft and fluffy, luxurious whipped body butter whenever your heart desires. This recipe can be easily tweaked using different solid oils (like mango butter) or different essential oils (lavender, peppermint or vanilla would work well). This would also make for an excellent budget-friendly gift idea for the holidays. Try it for yourself and let me know how you like it!
Also by Sarah: Love – How to Fight Fair with Your Partner
Also in Bodycare: Coconut and Lavender Scrub
Photo: Sarah McEwing