This article was first published on February 27, 2018.
Feeling a little bit weighed down after some serious winter indulgence? It’s time to consider the post-holiday detox or cleanse. After copious amounts of vegan eggnog and sugar cookies, champagne toasts and Christmas ale, Valentine’s Day treats and chocolate martinis, it can feel really good to get ready for spring with a little bit of abstinence. We’ll help you develop a foolproof plan so that you’ll be ready for warmer weather – and swimsuit season – in no time.
What is a detox, exactly? Regular detoxing requires you to cleanse the body of all the bad stuff in your system. Essentially, it’s like spring cleaning for the self. Not only is detoxing good for the body, it’s also good for your mind and environment. You can apply the same principles of a physical detox to the spaces around you by detoxing your pantry, car or closet.
Pick Your Cleanse
Step one to planning your detox is determining which cleanse is best for your unique needs and scenario. There are hundreds of different ways to cleanse the body and mind, from uber-trendy juice cleanses to beneficial probiotic cleanses that support digestive health. Consider all your options before picking just one.
- The Chitosanase Cleanse — You’re only as healthy as the health of your intestines. If you feel weighed down by the digestive tract, consider the yeast cleanse. This detox plan requires you to take supportive probiotics with chitosanase that thoroughly cleanse the colon. By controlling the overgrowth of Candida — a harmless yet sensitive yeast that may cause intestinal issues when it flourishes — this cleanse helps combat fatigue, discomfort, bloating, diarrhea, cramping and nausea.
- The Juice Cleanse — When you commit to a juice cleanse, you’re essentially committing to consuming only healthy fruits, vegetables, and vitamins for several days. Most people experience a range of benefits from the occasional juice cleanse, including weight loss, appetite control, higher levels of energy and fewer physical ailments. You can achieve a juice cleanse by purchasing premade juices or by mixing them yourself at home.
- The Alcohol Detox — Lots of people practice the art of alcohol abstinence in the month of January as a way to recoup, lose weight and detoxify the body after a particularly raucous holiday season. But just because January is over doesn’t mean you can’t take a break from drinking. A month of alcohol abstinence can help you control your body’s alcohol dependency while encouraging weight loss and energy.
When to Start and Other Logistics
After you’ve determined which type of cleanse is most apropos for your particular goals, it’s time to zero-in on the logistics. First, determine when to start. Some cleanses should start immediately, while others should be eased into over time. Doctors recommend preparing the body for a cleanse with a low-inflammatory diet (taking anti-inflammatory systemic enzyme blends like enteric-coated serrapeptase can also help you address this) for at least three days before you begin.
It’s important to start any detox slowly, especially when it comes to your body. Before you embark on any sort of nutritional detox — whether it be a juice cleanse, a sugar cleanse, or a yeast cleanse — you could also transition to only light, organic foods for three to five days. Cut out alcohol, caffeine, soda, refined sugars, artificial sweeteners and processed meat for a few days before you cleanse.
Tips for Detox Success
- Double-Up on Different Methods — Here’s the great thing about detoxing. You don’t have to pick just one. In fact, in some cases, it’s a requisite. For example, you won’t be able to drink alcohol or consume refined sugars while you’re on a rigorous juice cleanse, so you might as well extend a two- or three-day juice cleanse by incorporating a yeast cleanse and other long-term cleanses into your diet for the entirety of the month.
- Think Beyond Physical Health — No doubt about it, your physical health has a lot to do with your mood, energy and emotional well-being. But other factors are vital to your happiness, too, like the people around you and the cleanliness of your home. Some experts recommend taking a digital detox to help you reconnect with others and slow the mind, which can mean measurable improvements at work, school or in your social life.
- Drink More Water — By and large, one of the most common mistakes new detoxers make is forgetting to consume enough H2O. Here’s the thing: the goal of a good cleanse is to rid the body of harmful toxins and other components that make you feel sluggish or bloated, but the body can’t properly flush out those toxins without enough water. Be sure that you stay hydrated on your cleanse by consuming about eight glasses of water per day throughout your cleanse.
- Don’t Binge Beforehand — As previously mentioned, a big part of your detox success will come from how you prepare the body. As tempting as it can be, avoid the romance of “the last meal.” Your body will take time to adjust to the shock of a dramatic detox, so easing into it slowly is really the best course of action. When you binge before you cleanse, the body has to put in double the work to get rid of those excess toxins, so it’s best to tread lightly beforehand.
- Prepare Yourself for Setbacks — Just like any new lifestyle change, you should start small and set reasonable, attainable goals. In the event that you do slip up once or twice, make sure that you have a good plan in place to get back on track. In the same vein, make sure that you don’t beat yourself up too much if you fail or falter. This will only make you feel worse!
With this guide, we’re sure you’ll feel back to your best self in just a few short weeks! Just remember to take it slow and choose the methods that are best for you. If you aren’t sure whether or not a particular detox is best for your specific concerns or physical condition, always make sure cross-reference with your doctor or a registered dietician. Happy cleansing!
Do you plan to do a spring detox or cleanse?
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!