Toast is wonderful. It is easy, warm, smells nice, and if the right type of bread is selected, healthy.
Because of its convenience, I like to make snacks that involve toast. If you are starving now, don’t worry, about 3 minutes after the toaster pops, you could be eating some of the delicious ideas below.
For my healthy toast snacks, I like to choose a bread that is organic, brown, and grainy. Try any kind you want but preferably not white, which is not nutrient-rich.
1. Toast with peanut butter and strawberries or raspberries. Sweet, delicious, and because of the fruit, refreshing. Try an organic, all-natural peanut butter without added sugar or oils. I like crunchy, but smooth is just as good.
2. Toast with olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, and tomatoes. Or, toast with avocado and ground pepper. Savory and great. I think the latter should be a staple in everyone’s life.
3. For those of you who don’t know what tahini is, you can thank me after you try it. It is a sauce/spread (similar to hummus) made from sesame seeds. You can put it on pretty much anything and the dish will be improved. I don’t think I’m exaggerating. Toast with tahini and either tabbouleh (middle eastern salad type food made from parsley, lemon, tomatoes, and other great things) or with avocado. Ah, tahini.
4. Toast with almond butter and berries. Almond butter is sort of like peanut butter, but healthier and made from almonds. It is great for your brain, and tastes great with fruit. Try toast with almond butter and either strawberries or bananas. Or blueberries, guava, pomegranate. Well really any fruit.
5. I obviously could not leave hummus off of this toast-alicious list. Try toast with hummus with chopped tomatoes. Or try toast with chopped tomatoes on an olive spread (I like olive spreads made from Kalamata olives, maybe because my great grandmother was from Kalamata .)
All of these snacks are easy, convenient, and most importantly healthy. Enjoy them, and thank whoever it was who first decided to heat up bread 🙂 Stay healthy!
Related: Avocado Toast 4 Ways
Yummy “Fre-Gan” Vegan French Toast
Also by Anastasia: 4 Inversion Poses for All Levels – plus benefits
Photo: Anastasia Bailey