Happy Earth Day!! Every day is a great day to celebrate and honor this one-of-a-kind home we share. This article is about fun ways to celebrate Earth Day, but you can also do these activities any day of the year!
- Go for a hike. Hiking is one of my favorite ways to connect with the earth. You get fresh air, sunshine, contact with plants and animals (aka our fellow earthlings!) and often amazing views. Take the day as an excuse to try a new hiking spot in your area!
- Go for a bike ride. Biking is another incredible way to get outside. Biking also lowers greenhouse gas emissions by providing a zero-carbon alternative to fuel-based transport. Challenge yourself to move on a bike trail in nature or to a city destination!
- Host a vegan potluck or cooking party with your friends. A vegan diet is one of the most effective and tasty ways to lower your ecological footprint! Celebrate this way of eating on Earth Day by hosting a potluck or a cooking party with your friends! We have plenty of recipes to get you started!
- Watch a sustainability documentary. It’s important to always be adapting and expanding our knowledge when it comes to sustainability. Celebrate Earth Day by diving into a sustainability topic you might not know much about, and then share with others what you’ve learned about reducing your impact! Cowspiracy and A Plastic Ocean are great documentaries to get you started. Bonus points if you host a sustainable movie night with friends!
- Host a clothing swap. The clothing industry is one of the top polluting industries. A fun alternative to buying newly made clothes is to get new-to-you clothes by swapping with friends! You’ll save money and get some new clothes, all while helping the earth.
- Make a DIY craft with recycled materials. Repurpose your recycled materials by making a useful craft rather than sending them to a recycling or trash facility! For example, I love transforming old peanut butter jars into candle holders by painting or posting pictures on the outside to create a cute, multi-colored candle holder! I then put tea candles on the inside.
- Walk somewhere you normally drive. It’s easy to fall into the habit of driving everywhere and spending your days mostly inside (I get it…sometimes places are far apart and it gets cold!). Challenge yourself to walk somewhere you would normally drive this week. Can you walk to the grocery store? A restaurant? To a friend’s house? Leave yourself a little more time than usual and enjoy the sunshine!
- Take your yoga or meditation practice outside. I’m usually accustomed to keeping my daily meditation practice in my bedroom, and I often forget how revitalized I might feel with a little change of scenery! Take your yoga mat or a towel to a nice spot – could be your backyard, a park, or any other nature you have nearby (bonus points if you’re surrounded by lots of trees!) What better way to celebrate Earth Day than to opt outside whenever you can?
Opting outside, expanding your knowledge, and taking eco-friendly actions are ways to show our home some love every day of the year. How do you like to celebrate the earth?
More Earth Day: Vegan Sugar Cookies For Earth Day
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Maille O’Donnell