Part of my New Year’s resolution is to start my day with warm lemon water. It’s just a little promise to myself, but after learning about this nutrient-dense little fruit and all of its benefits, it seemed like a resolution I could keep. Lemons are packed full of B-complex vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium and fiber. Lemons have antiseptic properties which help reduce the production of phlegm in the body and make them powerful germ fighters. Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning jump starts your liver and kidneys helping to give you a better energy boost than caffeine! (I didn’t believe it either until I tried it.)
1) Aides Digestion Lemons tickle your liver and encourage it to produce bile, a main acid in breaking down your food.
2) Boosts Immune System Lemons are crime fighters and their main weapon is vitamin C. They also chase away phlegm and help alkalize the blood.
3) Detoxifies liver, kidneys, and blood Warm lemon water first thing in the morning is a great way to say good morning to your liver, kidneys and blood. Cleaning them out helps give you an added energy boost in the morning!
4) Freshens Breath Don’t want to greet your loved one with morning’s Dreaded Dragon Breath? Make a cup of warm lemon water before you kiss your significant other or beloved fur baby and they’ll thank you for it.
5) Clears skin Dreaded acne can put a damper on anyone’s day. The vitamin C in lemons helps clarify skin and make it glow like the sun.
6) Helps Alkalize the Body Lemons may be sour and acidic before you ingest them, but their citric acid actually works to alkalize your body. It’s just a neat magic trick that lemons know.
7)Excellent Source of Potassium Potassium helps encourage brain and nerve function. This can help you seize the day and achieve your goals. Are you convinced you should drink warm lemon water yet?
8) Helps with Weight Loss The pectin fiber found in lemons can help curb hunger cravings. Hmmmm, it’s that easy?
9) Natural Gentle Diuretic Lemons help get your system moving and shaking by encouraging peristalsis in your bowels. (Ahem, it makes you poo good)
10) Gives You an Energy Boost Since lemons do all of these awesome things in your body, drinking warm water with lemon can wake you up better than coffee (gasp!).
What are you waiting for? Go make yourself a cup and see how you feel?
Also in Healthy Eating: How to Use Turmeric Root for Holistic Health
Photo: Krystle Troia-Alvarado