My last break was about 4 years ago when I packed up and moved across country. For one reason or another, I just haven’t been able to take a vacation. This is not good. Research has shown that breaks are necessary for our overall productivity and mental health. Taking a vacation can reduce stress, remove creative blocks, and just boost overall well-being. This year I decided to take a staycation, 10 whole fun-filled days of goofing off, exploring my backyard, and getting my mojo back.
Stressed? Foggy mind? Feeling uncreative? You should consider a staycation too! Here are 10 awesome staycation Activities to help you get your groove back:
1. Backyard Camping Trip- This idea reminds me of being a kid. Dust off those sleeping bags, grab some vegan ‘mellows, and have yourself a great outdoor experience sleeping under the stars.
2. Movie Marathon- Got a rainy day on your staycation? Plan a movie marathon! Make it a theme! Some great ideas examples are Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Classic movies. Dress in costume and make matching theme goodies to snack on.
3. Go Sightseeing- Many times we take local attractions for granted. Check out your local museums, science centers, or nifty unique attractions in your own backyard.
4. Have a Thrifting Day- Grab a friend and find all of the vintage and thrift stores in your area. Find great deals and buy a little slice of history.
5. DIY Spa day and Detox- There are some really great DIY facial masks, scrubs, and hair masks that you can create an amazing spa day for a fraction of the cost. Just check out our Get Glowing section! Make it even more special than usual by putting some fresh flowers in your bathroom, lighting a few candles, and turning on some favorite soothing music.
6. Plan a day trip- Even just a few hours outside of your city can be super exciting. Look for state parks or attractions that are just a couple of hours away and have a crazy, local road trip.
7. Geocaching– Ever heard of it? It’s like a treasure hunt for adults using GPS to find hidden capsules at each location. Just download the app and join in the game!
8. Visit your local library- Have a reading vacay. Go to the library and get some of the latest titles and get caught up in a good story. Need ideas on what to check out? Here is a list to get you started.
9. Fancy Schmancy Dinner Party- Make something fancy sounding, light a couple of candles and get dressed up. Invite a few friends over and make it a party or keep it intimate and just have dinner with your loved one or furry family member.
10. Do Nothing- Don’t plan anything, take it easy, and see where the day takes you. Almost every day of your life, you make and follow plans. Feel free to start each day as a blank canvas–it is the ultimate luxury!
Have an exciting staycation ideas? I’d love to hear them!
More in Travel: Top 10 Tea Houses in the U.S.
Also by Krystle: 7 Natural Insomnia Cures
Photo: K. Troia-Alvarado