Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as the saying goes, and I wholeheartedly agree. How you start your morning sets the precedent for your whole day, and fueling your body properly is a vital part of that. When I know it’s going to be a busy day, I like to make a hearty, savory breakfast to keep me full and fuel me through my day.
Last week, I put together this breakfast bowl that delighted everyone who tried it. On the bottom layer is sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are low on the glycemic index, meaning that they don’t cause a spike in blood sugar, and your body will digest it slowly due to the fiber content. Also, by adding a little bit of fat with the olive oil, you increase your body’s ability to absorb the beta carotene that it provides. To top the sweet potatoes, I chose a tofu scramble. Tofu is one of the staples that I always keep in the house because it is so versatile, and it makes the perfect addition to my breakfast bowl. Tofu is a great source of protein, offering 20 grams per cup. It is also a good source of iron and calcium. By adding broccoli into the mix, you are getting fiber and potassium.
Not only is this breakfast bowl full of essential vitamins and minerals, it is hearty and flavorful and sure to fill you up without weighing you down. By pairing this meal with a short yoga and meditation practice, you will have your mind and body ready to be your best self and share your unique gifts with the world.
Sweet Potato Zen Bowl
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut sweet potatoes into cubes, toss with olive oil, spread out on a baking sheet, and place in the oven.
3. While the potatoes are in the oven, heat a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil and add the broccoli florets; sauté for a few minutes.
4. Once your broccoli begins to cook, crumble the tofu into the pan. Add the tahini and seasonings and mix well to combine. Cook for a few more minutes on medium until the broccoli is cooked.
5. Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven.
6. Assemble your bowls by placing the potatoes in the bottom, layer the tofu scramble over them, and then top with sliced avocado and chopped almonds.
Also by Kathryn: Butternut Squash Mac N’ Cheese
Related: Grain-Free Overnight “Oats”
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kathryn Farrugia