Although a lot of the food on GoT seems to feature big ‘ol meat dishes and grey-ish bread, Sansa’s beloved lemon cakes are an exception. Of course, we can’t be sure what they actually taste like, but we certainly have the capabilities to make something quite delicious, don’t we? Taking inspiration from The Geeky Chef, I created these Vegan Game of Thrones Lemon Cakes topped with caramelized lemons. Perfect for a GoT-themed party or anytime you need to remind yourself that this is your season–err, year–and you’re going to kick a$$.
A note on sugar choice: If you would prefer your lemon cakes to come out a lighter color, be sure to use white sugar. I used unrefined coconut sugar, which is naturally dark brown. It gave the cakes a rich, rustic look, but you may prefer a lighter (yellow) look.
Vegan Game of Thrones Lemon Cakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 12-muffin tin with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. Prepare the caramelized lemon slices. Boil 12 lemon slices in 1 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain when finished and place one lemon slice in each muffin tin.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
4. Prepare the flax eggs. In a small bowl, combine five tablespoons of water with 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed. Stir well and allow to sit for a few minutes.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil and 3/4 cup sugar. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and flax eggs.
6. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Beat well.
7. Warm vegan milk in a small saucepan or in the microwave and mix thoroughly with the batter. (Cold milk will make the coconut oil in the batter solidify and not play nice.)
8. Divide the batter among the muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops of the lemon cakes are golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve with the lemon side facing up.
Enjoy–and may the Old and New Gods be with you!
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell