I love noodles in all forms. I’ve been enjoying glass bean noodles quite a bit lately, but I thought I would change things up and try my hand at spiralized butternut squash noodles. (I’ve discovered that I’m crazy spiralized food so long as it’s warmed–I never quite bonded with cold zucchini noodles.)
This recipe has a nice blend of healthy carbs (from the vitamin A-rich squash), fiber, and delicious protein–thanks to the hemp seeds and sturdy kale leaves. You can certainly make this dish without the rosemary if you don’t like it as much as I do. You can even sub out the rosemary for another beloved herb like thyme or sage (sage butter is amazing!) Alternatively, you can make this recipe with spiralized sweet potato noodles. I imagine that the dish would work with other winter squash…has anyone tried pumpkin noodle?! (That may have to be my next project.) 🙂
Butternut Squash Noodles with Kale and Rosemary Butter
1. Prepare rosemary butter. Add 3 tablespoons of vegan butter to a small bowl. Using a mortar and pestle, grind dried rosemary into a fine powder. (You can also use a blender to grind up the rosemary, but you may have to add a bit more than what’s required to give the blades something to work with.) Using a fork or small electric mixer, whip the powdered rosemary into the butter. Set aside.
2. Process squash: Halve squash, scoop out and discard seeds, and cut off the outer skin. Cut squash into large sections, and run the sections through your spiralizer.
3. Sauté the squash noodles in a large pan over medium heat with 3 tablespoons vegan rosemary butter and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat the noodles in butter and salt. Toss occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
4. In a separate pan, sauté the kale in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and sprinkle with salt. After five minutes, add the minced garlic and lemon juice, and toss for a few minutes or until the garlic is fragrant.
5. Toss kale and noodles together, sprinkle with hemp seeds, and serve.
Related: Rainbow Veggie Sweet Potato Noodles
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell